ARTICLES AND ACTIVITIES
Recent threats to the safety of people have stimulated the authorities to encourage all types of organisations to consider what they may do, and how they may react, should any type of unexpected event occur.
They have named this protocol 'Dynamic Lockdown'.
Dynamic Lockdown is the ability to quickly restrict access and egress to a site or building (or part of) through physical measures in response to a threat, either external or internal.
The aim of Lockdown is to prevent people moving into danger areas and preventing or frustrating the attackers accessing a site (or part of). It is recognised that because of their nature, some sites may not be able to achieve lockdown physically.
WHY DO THIS?
If preventing an attack has not been possible, the ability to frustrate and delay the attacker(s) during the course of the attack and reduce the number of potential casualties can be greatly increased through Dynamic Lockdown.
Advance planning of what needs to be done to lockdown a site and recognising the need for flexibility in those plans will save lives.
How to prepare
Planning should consider;
- how to achieve effective full or partial lockdown
- how to let people know what’s happening
- training your staff
- STAY SAFE principles
How to achieve Dynamic Lockdown
- identify all access and egress points in all areas of the site
- identify how to secure access/egress points quickly and physically
- identify how to sector your site to allow specific areas to be locked down
- inform and train staff on roles and responsibilities
- stopping people leaving or entering the site – direct away from danger
- consideration on disabling lifts without returning them to the ground floor
- flexibility to cope with and compliment invacuation and evacuation
To find out more about the importance of Dynamic Lockdown for your organisation and how to achieve it with consideration to UK building regulations and standards, contact us in the first instance:
A. B. Rooms & Son Limited
52 Abbey Street, Hull HU9 1LQ
Tel: 01482 320260