The lock as a way of securing property is about 4,000 years old. Originally, we - locksmiths - used to make the entire lock including hand cutting each screw. Now it’s about intricate repairs and renovations, determining risk levels at a property and designing and installing appropriate combinations of equipment to deny access to a thief or threat. This includes the design, implementation and management of commercial locking and key control systems.
There are dozens of different lock types, including electrical, mechatronic, and mechanical. In fact, the mechanical versions such as the cylinder lock, the mortice lock, and the disc tumbler remain equally effective in the right circumstances and – as industry research shows - always will. For example: a disc tumbler lock is a lock made of slotted rotating detainer discs. A specially cut key rotates these discs until the slots are aligned. The advantage of this mechanism is that it does not use springs and so can’t be bumped to force it open, but it also means that bad weather doesn’t affect the lock as much. This is particularly useful in environments which would damage normally ultra-reliable types of locks such as anything to do with the sea/ marine.
Mechatronics is relatively new. This introduces an encrypted electronic element. Therefore, this cannot be copied, either by normal means or by 3D printing. Remarkably clever.
LOCKS AND HARDWARE
- all types of locks and security products, including code and high security, RFID and electronic applications
- systems design and applications, based on ß testing principles and similar
- master keyed systems
- keyed alike systems
- access control including coded door entry, both electronic and mechanical
- emergency exit hardware - and especially the higher security versions
- architectural ironmongery - this includes some of the best designed equipment available, practical, robust, effective, but very good looking - practicality doesn’t necessarily mean basic
- key cutting
- specialist product development and research – such as finding products which ensure that all compliance regulations are met – see section titled Knowledge
Download our Guide to Door Locks and Hardware here
MASTER LOCKSMITHS ASSOCIATION
Every approved company undergoes stringent, regular inspections, thus ensuring that it maintains high standards in workmanship and administration. Additionally members are expected to conform to legal requirements and follow a customer charter to ensure customer satisfaction. To check out membership telephone the Association on 0800 783 1498 or visit Locksmiths.co.uk
The AB Rooms service
- site consultancy, advice, troubleshooting
- systems design, installation, maintenance
- full commercial locking systems design, installation, servicing
- locks opened and serviced
- access control maintenance and installations
- lock fitting
- specialist engineers – fully stocked service vehicles
- Master Locksmiths
- SPECIALIST WORKSHOP AND KEY SERVICES:
- Product supply: locks, padlocks, emergency exit hardware, specialist architectural ironmongery, high security industrial/commercial locking products, uPVC repair, and replacement units. Lock repair. Trade counter.
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. It replaces the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).